Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hard evidence for God

The Bible claims you can get hard evidence for God by simply asking God for sign after sign until He has proved Himself to your satisfaction.

Judges 6
36 Gideon said to God, "If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised- 37 look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said." 38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew—a bowlful of water.

39 Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew." 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.

Guess what?

Christians nowadays know perfectly well that there is no God who will give sign after sign , even though the Bible claims there is.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil C said...

No: just because God does something at one time doesn't mean he will do it again. What a strange point to make.

And Gideon wasn't looking for evidence of God's existence. He was looking for reassurance about a course of action.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Steven Carr said...

I see.

So I was right that this alleged god used to give sign after sign on demand, but somehow he doesn't do that anymore.

I guess imaginary beings no longer do what they used to do in made up stories from 2000 years ago.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Phil C said...

Eh?

I didn't say he doesn't do it now. Just because he did it once (or many times), doesn't mean he will do it again whenever we demand it. He has never operated like that.

I think you will find there are a lot of Christians who do say that he guides them with clear signs a lot of the time. You might think that's bonkers, but it undermines this post outright, which is entirely based on that assumption in the last sentence.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home